From:
Dee McNally <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 08:25:50 -0600
Hi all,

Okay I am having some problems here.  It took a couple of days to realize
it, but when we got Alexander he was about 12 weeks old.  Roxana is just
going on 7 weeks.  So, if I'm correct, we have at least another 5 weeks of
teething with her, right????  How do I handle this??  We try the Bitter
Apple, and though she hates it, it makes her mad and she bites even harder
(She latched on one time, Pat couldn't get his finger out of her mouth.) I
guess she figures she's going to get that bad taste in her mouth no matter
how hard she bites, so she might as well take someone down with her.  Also,
we are trying not to use the Bitter Apple because of Alexander.  Sometimes
Pat will be holding one, and I will be holding the other, and we will trade
off between them, so that each knows neither one of us is taking sides, and
if we have Bitter Apple on our hands, Alexander gets really distressed
because he likes to like, not so much bite.  So we are trying to play with
Roxana without the Bitter apple, like keeping a leather glove on one hand to
protect it, and letting her play with the rubber toy horseshoe.

Second question, Alexander.  We have let them run around, both on their
leashes, in the hopes of maybe getting use to each other.  Roxana could care
less about him.  She is more interested in conquering my purse and school
bag.  Alexander, once he notices her, has other plans.  He arches his back
up, like he is going to play, then he slowly walks towards her, low to the
ground, and sticks his nose in her behind!!!  As if this isn't enough, then
he bites her there.  He did this twice now, and she yells a little.  At this
point we break them apart, Pat takes one and I take the other, and they go
on opposite sides of the room to play, which they both enjoy.

I think I am going to keep them apart until Roxana stops teething, or at
least starts to realize that biting is bad.  Any suggestions???

Also, in case anyone suggests using Ferretone, Alexander loves it,
Roxana doesn't.

Thanks!!