From:
Veronica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:34:30 -0800
 ...after her vet appt.  today.  I took her in fully expecting to get the
outcome of insulinoma.  What I didn't expect was an immediate exploratory
requested because of the mass the vet felt in her right side...and this
was from a walk-in visit.  A more experienced ferret vet did the surgery
and found an inoperable mass that leaves her with just a short time left
with us.  Weeks to months.

This is what the vet had to say:

"BG - 236

BUN - 40

ventral abdom. incision.  HUGE (double underlined) mass (single
underlined) C~8-10cm diam.  - very vascular - involving entire pancreas -
tightly adhered to back body wall & liver & spleen - fully involving
kidney also.  Removal NOT possible.  Closure per normal.

A: Insulinoma

P: Poor prognosis - take home & decide when to euthanize."

I have only had her since Oct.  I knew she wasn't using her rear legs
well, but I had no idea this is what Yuki would be up against.  I found
out through the vet she is only about 2 years old.  If she was taken
sooner (though sooner than I have had her) she would have had a MUCH
higher chance of survival.  It is so important for us to take our babies
in and have them checked.  The other 3 are going in two weeks when Yuki
gets her stitches removed for their checkup.

Now my questions here are: 1) When she has a siezure (for which the vet
said she had witnessed...I never knew what one looked like) what kind of
sugar solution should I use for her, 2) How agressive can these tumors
be at their worst, and 3) Is it possible that the tumor could have been
operable back in October?

Thanks for any feedback and I'll be waiting for a reply in rainy
Tennessee.

Veronica

 ,,
Paris-Henry County Humane Society  http://www.phchs.petfinder.org