Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:06:51 -0600
Wow!  what a week!  I finally found a new place to live and got moved
(despite the altanator going out on my car -- on the upside I've learned
to drive a standard).  Wikket was VERY unhappy with this situation, since
his play time and with Mommy time were severely reduced for almost two
weeks straight.  We were about two-thirds of the way through (far enough I
had brought Wikket over & was sleeping here) when Glenn met me on the porch
with a big grin and an "I brought you a present" expression: Two "new"
ferrets.  We had been looking for one, but the guy who gave us the newbies
got them from his nephew.  Instead of giving us an address and the
opportunity to introduce the three as originally planned he just unloaded
them on his uncle, and here they are.  Gracie (formerly "white" Trashy) is
an albino MF female, less than one pound, originally.  George is a sable
male of unkown origine, weighing about 1.5 pounds.  Both had sunken
stomaches and toothpick ribcages, atrophied rear leg muscles and severely
hunched spines.  Both are four years old and we believe they lived most of
their lives in the tiny, cat carrier sized cage they came to us in.
Already they roam the place as if they own it.  They are getting stronger
and more energetic and putting on weight.  Stools have been normal since
the second day (the uncle didn't know what to feed them, so had them on
hamster food and dry cereal).  The first meeting (a week or so after
arrival) with Wikket was not good, but after a few days of pampering and
letting him get a feel for the place he loves the company -- has actually
gotten LESS aggressive since they showed up.

Now for the real business: I need a cage and an experienced vet, pronto.
I live in the Ada, OK area, and am happy to drive.  I would prefer a vet in
the Shawnee/Norman/Ada areas since that is what I'm familiar with.  I have
a vet for vaccinations, but I don't think he knows any more than I do about
ferrets (which is little enough).

Sorry this is so long, and I appreciate any help.