From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 06:07:49 -0500
After reading so many posts about ferret escapes--past & present--I just
have to make this suggestion: why not put collars on your little guys, with
a bell and an ID tag?  I would never let our three go without them.  I get
the adjustable collars made for ferts, which come with a little bell.  Then
I order the smallest ID tag I can find, and attach it to the collar with the
built-in D-ring (I don't use the S-hook because then the ID tag would hang
down too far and get in the way of short little legs).

The collars serve three purposes:

1) When the guys are running around the house, the bells give us an idea of
   where they are.  Helps keep us from stepping on them, and often keeps
   them from sneaking out the door.  (They love the challenge of sneaking
   past us into the garage, out on the deck, and into other forbidden areas.)

2) If they ever do escape, anyone who finds them will see the collar and
   know that they are PETS, not WILD animals, which could save their
   lives--especially if someone thinks they are rats!  (someone once thought
   our sable girl was a racoon!  Imagine, a 1.25 lb racoon!!!!  But at least
   he knew she was a PET racoon!)

3) If someone finds them, all they have to do is look at the tag to know
   where they belong.

I know ferts don't like wearing collars.  But they do get used to them, and
I think the extra protection is well worth the minor annoyance to them.

Nancy <[log in to unmask]>