From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:17:09 -0400
>I need some advice on giving a ferret chemo. I have a 5 year old
>female ferret that has just been diagnosed with cancer. The vet is
>suggesting drug therapy (chemo). Has anyone dealt with a ferret
>having chemo? What were the side effects? If you had to do it again,
>would you?

Pauline --

My 4.5 year old Rory has been on chemo for about 5 months now, and is
doing wonderfully. I've been posting about his progress on the Ferret
Health List; you can look at these messages for progress:

I haven't posted an update in a while, but he's gotten through the
initial 8-week protocol and is now into the second 8 weeks. He's doing
very well; maintaining his weight, playing, although his poops are
still somewhat soft, but they have always been soft after his surgery.

This was really our only option for Rory, as with intestinal lymphoma
it's much harder to treat. I do not regret the time or expense it's
cost us (and my vet has worked with us on costs) because Rory is
thoroughly enjoying life.

Good luck with your decision; hope some of this helps.

Amy, Dave, Sarah and Paul
And their gaggle of giggling ferrets
RIP Ian, Elektra, Claudia, Sidney, Max, Hannah, Fritz, Fiona and Felix
Missing Tasha