From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:08:48 -0600
Pet Store Babies -
Someone posted that they have not seen proof that pet store babies are sold
too young.  The proof that the babies are too young can be told by the
number of deaths and illnesses.  No scientific study will bring them back
to life.

Judge Mills Lane -
There was more to the story that wasn't told on the show.  One ferret had
adrenal disease and the owner didn't want her anymore so when she dropped
both ferrets off at the shelter that is what she said.  The ferrets were
dropped off in March and my understanding is that no attempt to contact the
shelter operator was made by the owner.  Finally in August they came back
to claim the one ferret they wanted.  Now if you are someone that cares
about your little ones, wouldn't you contact the shelter person to check on
the little ones and visit them when you could?  Wouldn't you also pay for
their care and feed and any needed medical care?  How could you not want a
ferret anymore because of an illness?  And to separate ferrets that have
bonded can be a death sentence to one or both.  But this woman just left
the ferrets in the hands of the shelter person and didn't pay one cent
towards the surgery or the care of the two ferrets.  Why is it that it is
assumed that shelters are made of money?  Believe me, they aren't and most
ferret shelter operators dig deep into their own pockets, and go without
some human necessities, to provide what is needed for the little ones.
Donations are few and far between.  Taking care of one or two ferrets may
not seem expensive but multiply that by 20, 30, or more.  How many of you
spend $350 a month on ferret food and litter?  And this is every month, not
just one time.  What some pay for a new car payment or house payment, many
shelter operators pay for ferret food.  Vet expenses are in addition to
that total.  Shelter operators are Guardians of the little lives that are
brought to them.  It is their obligation to do the best they possibly can
for each and every little one.

I saw the show too, but I knew the background info so I could tell that the
show was biased and did not tell both sides or the full story.

Sadly, those that do not know the entire story may think the same way Becky
did.  I did catch that Judge Mills Lane clarified that the ferrets were at
the shelter from March through August and that the owner didn't pay
anything towards their care and that she didn't feel she should.  Odd.  If
it was a dog or cat, that may be considered abandonement.  And to consider
that the Judge thought this was o.k.  since he never carried the thread any
further, well... It isn't my nature to say bad things about others so I
won't finish that thought.

Hugs to all.  tle