From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 2009 03:26:14 -0400
Things had quieted down at the bridge and No. 421 and his currier
Oliver had been planning to take a day off and just have fun. The trees
and flowers were beginning to bloom, and birds were singing everywhere.

No. 421 had packed a picnic lunch of raisins, and ferretone pops, and
was planning to stop by Bakin' Bertha's to pick up a few cookies.

Oliver was late, again, and No. 421 was pacing around his house when
Oliver came puffing down the path.

"I'se sorry I is late," Oliver started to explain. "The Receiving Angel
caught me just as I was leaving. I has a ticket for a new ferret comin'
in."

No. 421 took the ticket, and read it out loud. This sounded like a
prize. A sweet little ferret girl. Hummmmm this could be good.

No. 421 and Oliver walked up the path to the Rainbow Bridge. Oliver
had just put the big basket down and started back to Bakin' Bertha's
when the bridge began to shake. A sweet little ferret girl with a long
something or other over her shoulder started across the bridge.

"Who goes there," called No. 421? "What have you got on your shoulder?"

A small ferret came across the bridge and raised her small face to No.
421. She was a beauty, so cute and sweet.

"Hello," No. 421 said. "I'm the Bridge Greeter and is your name
Mallory?"

"Yes, I'se Mallory -- and this is my N-Bone -- and I'm takin' it with
me, so don't touch it," she said all in one breath.

I'm not going to take your N-Bone but I do need to help you find your
family," No. 421 said. "This is Oliver, and he was just going to get
some cookies for our picnic. Would you like to come along and get
acquainted?"

Mallory said she would if no one touched her N-Bone.

"Well Oliver," said No. 421. "What say we picnic over by Wind and
Willows Camp? There are quite a lot of ferrets over there and we
have not been down there for a while."

Oliver and No. 421 started down the path to Bakin' Bertha's and knocked
on the door. Little Mallory just stood there clutching her N-Bone.

Bakin' Bertha came to the door and No. 421 asked for some Paw Print
cookies. While Bertha was bagging the cookies, Mallory stood back
holding her N-Bone.

"Well," said Bakin' Bertha, "What have we here? What is that stick you
are holding child. Can I see it?"

Mallory said Bakin' Bertha could look at it but she was going to hold
on to the other end. Bakin' Bertha had an idea.

"I'll bet we could make these," Bakin' Bertha said. "Just let me have
a lick, I'll work on a receipt, and you can be the first to try them."

Mallory smiled and shyly let Bakin' Bertha have a lick. It was so good,
Bakin' Bertha asked for a second lick then a sniff.

"That's enough," Mallory said. "Where is my family? I thought they were
here?"

Just then Oliver came running up to No. 421.

"I'se found them, they are having a cookout," Oliver said. "Hurry up,
and we can go to it too."

No. 421, Mallory and Oliver ran down the hill to the stream where
Mallory, still holding her N-Bone, hugged her family. There were quite
a few, and everyone dooked and hugged while they dined on fresh picked
raisins, ferretone cookies, paw print cookies and tall glasses of milk.

Mallory thanked Oliver for bringing her to her family, and No. 421 for
helping her across the bridge. She stood on her tiptoes and brushed a
kiss on his whiskered cheek.

"Will you tell my Momma Lisa I made it here okay and I'm with the rest
of the family?" she said.

No. 421 said he would get the gentle breeze to deliver that message
when she blew across the earth again. She would sing as she slipped
through the pines and Momma Lisa would know Mallory was safe and happy.

No. 421 and Oliver had a bite to eat, then quietly slipped away. Back
at No. 421's cabin, the two sat down to the rest of the cookies and
some iced ferretone tea.

No. 421 logged in his book, Mission Completed. Then as Oliver crawled
into the spare room bed, No. 421 rubbed his cheek, decided not to wash
his face tonight, slipped into bed and drifted off to sleep.