From:
"Lisa G. Fleischmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:08:06 -0700
An update on Thomas -- Thomas is still ataxic and still growing like a weed.
I never thought that ferrets cost that much to feed :).  Thomas had an MRI
done: they thought that maybe the cerebellum was small, but they weren't
sure since they had never done an MRI on a ferret.

I've had three of the four microchipped.  It was quite an ordeal.  Needless
to say, the needles used to insert the microchips are rather large (14g or
16g), and the ferts were rather traumatized.  They seem to resent
vaccinations more now, but other than that they're no worse for the wear.
As far as the size of the microchip itself, it really isn't that big.  In
fact, I can only feel the microchip in one of my ferrets.  As far as the
information stored on the microchip itself, it is just a number.  However,
the number is then stored on a big computer somewhere which also has the
information of owner name, number, address.  The different microchip
companies are making scanners that can read other companies microchips.
That's about all I know about microchips.  If anyone is considering having
their fert microchipped, I would recommend having an experienced
microchipping person perform the microchipping.

              Lisa