Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 21:48:58 -0300
There appears to be some confusion about what it means to be
accountable. Accountability is not the same thing as blame. The
distinction can become blurred.

Very simply put aka Webster - accountability is a willingness to accept
responsibility or to account for ones actions. Whereas, to blame is an
act of censure, reproach, and often causes outright condemnation.

When we are asking someone to be accountable we are asking them to
take ownership for themselves and the outcome of their behaviours.
Accountability is about learning from our mistakes and taking steps
to solve the problem.

My post may have been misinterpreted to mean blame, and for this I
apologize to Alexandra.

I think most would agree that accidents do happen and the post was not
as much about blame as it was a reminder that we share responsibility
when a tragedy occurs and a request for reassurance that steps would
be taken to lessen the probability of yet another tragic accident
happening. Defending the status quo, as some did - is not taking steps
to reduce the risk of more accidents.

I do not assume any lesson was learned because people other than
Alexandra offered reassurances that it was. Nor do I assume that
anything is going to be different in the home environment to prevent
another tragedy from happening because those who know her best say it
will be so.

I don't presume to speak for others on important matters and I would
consider it disrespectful if someone were to do it for me. I have my
own voice.

What I did hear clearly from Alexandra before she 'quit' as Barb put it
so well - was that she was agonizing over the "what ifs"; had forgiven
her dog and was asking us to do the same; that she believed in the
power of love; and that she deeply misses Ping.

I tremendously admire Alexandra's gift with words, she is without a
doubt one of most talented writers I have read in decades - she writes
eloquently, cleverly, humorously and honestly.

Tressie

Tressie A. Dutchyn, PhD (c)
Dalhousie University
Research Project Coordinator