From:
citygirl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:54:12 -0500
Today is a very bad day for me.  This morning when I went to check on the
cages and all my ferret kids, they all seemed to be doing fine.  I was
relaxing and reading the paper when all of a sudden I heard these loud
gasping noises from the kitchen and ran in there.  Max was laying on the
cage floor gasping and seizing.  I grabbed a towel and opened the cage and
took him out.  I held him and called for my husband.  We both took turns
holding him for about 30 minutes until the seizure passed--his eyes were
open and set--we shook him a bit and moved him around and no sign of life.
I checked his heart with a stethoscope and his heart was still beating.
But after that seizure, we decided that our little emaciated hairless one
had fought the long battle and deserved to be at rest.  We took him to the
vet.  They put him to sleep.  They thought we were going to leave him there
to be disposed of.  Of course, we said no--they put him and his beautiful
new towel in a box and taped it all up and we brought him home and buried
him in our pet memorial park by the grapevine with the statues of Mary
and Joseph looking over him and our dog, King and our two cats, Sammy and
Freddie.  So at last he has crossed over the bridge.  I feel very sad
tonite and the other five ferrets have been very quiet today, not even
making a sound.