From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:12:21 -0500
There's a good chance that while you're reading this, members of the South
Florida Ferret Club and Rescue in Miami (Carin Riley, Karen Braithwaite),
Paula Bryder from Tampa and Mike Jordan from the Jacksonville area, are
converging on John Reynolds farm to evacuate 54 ferrets.  John Reynolds is
the breeder referred to in Susie Sherman's post on this topic in FML #2155
two days ago.

Carin Riley & Karen Braithwaite are heading up to Arcadia (somewhere around
Tampa) with 18 cages, water bottles and other assorted supplies.  Paula
Bryder is meeting them with other supplies and to offer assistance.  Mike
Jordan is heading down with a large truck for transporting the ferrets back
to the Gainsville area and into Barbara Ludt's hands.

All I know about the farm is that the ferrets are kept under a "lean-to
shed" whatever that might be.  Doesn't sound like the greatest conditions
and I doubt there is any sort of heat or air conditioning.  I have no idea
how the ferrets survived the summer heat of central Florida.  Plenty of
pictures will be taken as long as the breeder allows it, and if not,
surreptitiously if possible.

For those of you who would say we should not buy the ferrets out of this,
which would only encourage the breeder to do it again... we are NOT buying
them.  They are being given to us.  He apparently just wants out.

But we still need your help.  Neutering/spaying, shots, exams, food and
other necessities cost money.  We also need to find homes for these ferrets.
Both the Miami shelter and the Gainsville area branch have more ferrets than
we can handle.

If you think you can help in any way at all, please contact me at
1-305-385-6750 (evenings) or via e-mail.  Or, contact Susie Sherman at

Or contact Barbara Ludt directly at (904) 284-9232 or by fax at
(904) 284-6998.  Donations can be sent to Barbara Ludt, PO Box 984, Penny
Farms, FL 32079-0984.  Sorry, Barbara does not have 'net access so there is
no way to send e-mail to her.

If you feel more comfortable donating directly to the clinic that will be
providing the medical care, their information is as follows:

Dr. Kemmerer
West End Animal Clinic
103 S.W.  140th Ter, Newberry, FL 32669.

Donations made to "South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue, Inc." are tax
deductible, donations made directly to the clinic are not.

Please help all you can!

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Visit our web site:  http://www.gate.net/~mjanke