From:
Melissa Furash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 02:44:55 EDT
Hi, I would like to introduce myself.  My name is Melissa and I am one
of the people who answer the phone at the vet's office.  I schedule
appointments as well as being a technician.  I understand that it's
difficult when you can't get in to see the doctor during a problem, we all
get upset when our animals are sick, but sometimes there is a real, valid
reason that we can't be seen.  I have had to turn MANY people away with
sick Iguana's when my one (of four dr's) dr who sees reptiles is on
vacation.  "But he hasn't eaten in 2 weeks" in a normal situation would
warrant coming in, but if Dr. K isn't there all I can do is refer to
someone else.  I am also the person you complain to when the doctor is
running late and also the person the doctor complains to when he/she is
overbooked.  You may not see this...some doctors, not all, will be sweet as
can be to you in the room but will ream me later for something that could
have waited.  My only bird doctor refuses to see any birds before 9am or
after 5pm and will only see 2 on saturday.  I have NO control over his
policy.

Another piece of reality is that not every "emergency" is really an
emergency.  Don't flame me for saying this but I have had people call for
"emergency toe nail trims" and "emergency vaccines".  In my clinic we
define emergency as immediatly life-threatening.  I have had people
demanding to come in "right now" for things that could wait for an
appointment and not willing to rearrange their schedule because it is not
convenient.  Unless the doctor who sees your animal type (reptiles,
exotics) is away, I can always get you in within 24 hours if you can be
flexible but if you are demanding Dr. S at 5:30 pm (our most popular appt
time) it may take a few days to get that time slot.

I agree that not every receptionist/tech is as knowledgeable on each animal
as another may be, but in general we do our best.  If we can't answer a
question we ask the Dr., it may take us some time (unless it is a true
emergency, animal in the clinic, not breathing etc. my Dr.'s refuse to be
interupted) but we will get an answer.

Please remember you catch more flies (although who would want to) with
honey than with vinegar.

Melissa
Meeko, Percy, Snoopy and Bear