From:
Rebecca Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 23:59:38 +0100
I wrote Part 1 to Dr. Williams yesterday and do not know if he got it so I
am sending to the FML to make sure.  There is a second note reporting todays
situation and a third part expressing my gratitude to all of you:

(Part 1)
Dr. Williams,
Jitterbug's blood work came back and the only two things that looked unusual
to Dr. Jordon (at the animal and Avian Hospital in Houston) was her Calcium
looked low and her white blood cells looked normal (I think it was the white
blood cells, he said they should have been higher or lower than normal).
Everything else is what he expected it to be after the surgery.  Her
temperature returned, but it was lower than before (now it is 103, before it
was 104.5).  She is very lethargic, but I assume that is because it is only
2 days after the surgery.  He said all of her Kidney functions and liver
functions (as seen in the bloodwork) looked good.  The surgery was SUPPOSED
to have been to remove a blockage, but it turned out nothing was there, but
I guess since she is recovering (albeit slowly) no harm was done.  He said
her adrenals, pancreas, etc looked fine.  My other ferret began to get
diarhea too and she was under observation with him so he did a culture and
said he saw some spirella (?) and perhaps it was camphlobacter.  He is
checking on that for Jitterbug too since we think they both have the same
thing.  He sent Monkey home with me since she appears active and healthy
except for the diarhea.  He gave me CHPC Succinate for her in a syrup (2x a
day 1/2 a dropper full).

Jitterbug is still very fussy about eating.  I visited her 2X yesterday and
fed her Lamb babyfood mixed with pediasure off of my fingertips.  Both times
she ate quite a bit from me although the vet techs said she wasn't eating
much when I wasn't there.

One other thing, He had her under a heat lamp, that seemed really strange to
me.  Should she be under one?  It is not cold in the office.  Please let me
know what you think.

Rebecca

(Part 2)
Jitterbug came home today!!!  I am hoping that this is a really good thing
and not just that no one is around much on weekends so they sent her home
since she barely eats by herself.  Her temp is down to 102 and she does seem
more active.  Her stool is still loose and she is on the same medication as
Monkey (in above message).  The vet did not tell me definitively what was
wrong with her, but he thinks it is camphlobacter.  He says it is difficult
to grow camphlobacter in a culture so it would be hard to find out.  But he
says the meds she is on will fix that and a number of other possible things.
He said a little strep grew too.  He was real hard to understand because he
went over in great detail what the exact test results were (in technical
terms) but did not explain very well what they meant.  I have to go back on
Monday to have her stiches removed and he told me to beep him if she seemed
at all worse this weekend.  I may not go back to him for the stiches tho
because of how awful he was at the begining.  I just have to find out how
much it would cost if I go to someone else.  My vet bills are very high
right now.

     (Part 3)
I wanted to send out a thank you to you all for all the wonderful messages
of encouragement and concern.  I COULD NOT HAVE GOTTEN THROUGH THIS WITHOUT
YOU!!!  I especially want to thank Joanie Williams, who I am convinced saved
Jitterbug's life.  I am very sorry if I did not get back to you personally,
the messages became too numerous at some point to respond individually.  But
every single one of them meant so much to me I cannot adequately express my
gratitude.  I went through this all while visiting my mother who is not
sympathetic at all to animals.

Everyone thought I was a lunatic for spending so much time, money, and
attention on Jitterbug and Monkey.  It was the first time I was home in
years and many, many people were fighting for my attention and they all were
pretty pissed off that I spent so much time on my e-mail, at the vet, and
with my girls.  Still I don't regret a bit of it - Jitterbug seems to be
recovering.  I will let you all know how it goes.  Again, I appologize for
not being able to get back to you all personally.  My prayers go out to all
of you with sick fuzzies.

     Rebecca