From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:18:06 +1200
Howdy,

I have two males Thor and Grover, that have been together for over a year
now and are "bestest" buddies.  Recently (almost two weeks ago) I
introduced a new member to the clan, a female I've named Lady Penelope.
This is the first time I have had male and female ferrets together.

I believe that Thor and Grover have accepted Lady Penelope, but she seems
to be keeping her distance.  Let me give some specifics:
* I have two very large cages, which I have joined together to make a
  super cage.  Lady P, sleeps by herself in the other cage (which also
  has blankets).  Only twice have I seen her sleeping with Thor and Grover
  in their basket (which is plenty big enough for three).
* All three ferrets eat together, both in and out of the cage.

* Lady P, does not like it at all when Thor or Grover tries to play (you
  know how rough ferrets like to play).  When either ferret tries to
  initiate play, she will run away or "chitter", hiss and "poof".  Thor
  and Grover are playing - I can tell by their manner, and of course the
  dooking is a dead giveaway!  The strange thing is Lady P loves to play
  rough with me - just not with Thor and Grover.

So basically, Lady P, while having been accepted (or at least not
rejected), is not yet one of the gang.  From what I can tell, this seems
to be her choice.  I can't help but feel a bit sorry for her (not being
part of the inner circle) and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar
experience that they'd like to share, either privately or with the FML.
Lady P is about the same age as Thor and Grover and is in between the two
in size.  Her background is unknown (SPCA rescue).

Thanks in advance,
-David and the down under ferrets Thor, Grover & Lady Penelope.