From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:29:01 -0400
I'm glad to hear Jamie and her family are all ok.  They are very, very
lucky.

Absolutely, carbon monoxide (CO) is EXTREMELY dangerous.  It's colorless,
odorless, and gathers in unexpected places.  Early symptoms of CO
poisoning are slight dizziness, sleepiness, and headache.  If you're
experiencing any of these symptoms around a running gasoline engine,
get to fresh air immediately.  (Diesel engines also produce CO, but make
much less than gasoline engines.)

I have read far too many stories of deaths from CO poisoning on BOATS.
That's right, boats, which you would think have plenty of fresh air to go
around.  Some were even moving at the time, but air currents drew engine
exhaust into the boat's cabin.  My point is that, even if you think
you're safe, you're always at risk around a running engine.  (Now think
about that on your next bumper-to-bumper commute...)

Please, if you must run a generator or engine other than the one in
your car, get a carbon monoxide alarm or three.  They are relatively
inexpensive and can be gotten for as little as $30.  You can get them at
your local hardware/home supply store, or at most boating supply stores.
It's well worth your life and the life of your loved ones.

roger