From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:55:33 -0600
Hi,

I just wanted people to be aware of the dangers of unsupervised or
untrained attempts at administering sub-q fluid therapy.  I know of two
cases where people read about it and attempted to do it without training;
one seriously harmed a ferret, and the other caused the death of the
ferret.  In the injury, the needle went under the right scapula, and the
infusion of fluid tore ligaments and did severe muscle damage.  The
ferret STILL has limited motion of the arm.  In the later case, the
needle went into the pulmonary space, filling it with about 40 cc of
Ringers solution.  The ferret could not recover from that mistake.

If you have been trained by your vet in the procedure, you are probably
doing things correctly.  My concern was that some people woud read about
the procedure and attempt it on their own.  I have a moral and ethical
obligation to discuss any possible negative aspects of any technique that
could end in disaster, and I take it very seriously, hence the strong
warning.

Bob C