Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:27:08 EDT
My apologies for this lengthy post. I did include ample samplings of
AR blathering in hopes of pleasing that faction, so that this post
might be acceptable for the FML.

>From:   Bob C <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Ferrets are indeed crepuscular!

Nocturnal - Diurnal - Crepuscular ? Does this question of prominence
of "activity" not bring us back into the question of, "What is normal?"
If "normal" is not secularly defined within a population, it begs the
question, "are ferret mavens abnormal?" That being said, If all ferrets
are considered crepuscular; are the ferrets that are considered either
nocturnal or diurnal also considered abnormal? Can I safely determine
that the behavior of these "abnormal" ferrets is a result of captivity?
Also, can these captive animals with said abnormal behavior, be
considered a potential danger to humans, domestic animals and
livestock? Could it be perceived that this abnormal or erratic behavior
can be attributed to the unnatural expectations placed on these captive
animals? "Where does a bear poop in the woods? Anywhere it wants to."
What is so natural about a ferret being expected to poop in a
litter-pan?

>ferrets - which are domesticated polecats

I am relieved to find that the ferret progenitor question has now been
scientifically determined. This question of evolutionary precedence has
long been a confusing issue as to which came first or if they evolved
simultaneously. This revelation now fully explains how ferrets, being
domesticated polecats, can like dogs and cats, return to their natural
state in the wild, become feral, decimate the natural flora and fauna,
propagate just as feral domestic dogs and cats commonly do and also
become vectors of rabies and toxoplasmosis.

>In a captive situation, ferrets, being intelligent and yet strangely
>still enjoying the company of humans, generally live in a confined area
>without the ability to disperse or explore the outside environment.

I find it most interesting that these captive wild beasts "still enjoy
the company of humans. Could it be that this plastic facade is indeed
a devious ploy to gain access to the tender flesh and fresh blood of
their captors infants? Being deprived of their natural environment, I
can now better understand their neurotic behavior when allowed to
interact with their human captors.

>The anecdotal evidence is only reporting an epiphenomenon of captivity,
>where captive ferrets adapt a normally plastic behavior to better suit
>the needs of confinement.

I can fully understand and appreciate this observation. This is akin
to the "Helsinki Syndrome" adopted by many human captives with their
captors. "Gotta go along to get along." Ferrets have learned that by
adopting the behavioral traits desired by their captors, they in turn
receive food, water and shelter. In some cases, periods of limited
freedom on a leash are occasionally extended to some ferrets by their
captors.

>I will say that reports of wild polecats, New Zealand feral ferrets,
>and the one report I've read of a group of ferrets allowed to set their
>own schedules in a natural light environment, all indicate they are
>crepuscular. Well, except the ones that break all the rules.

>Bob C [log in to unmask]

Sort of lends us to the fact that "Never and Always" do not apply in
the fields of ethnology. Are "behavioral traits" genetically imprinted,
parentally imprinted, environmentally acquired, socially acquired or a
combination of all of these factors? Have not all domesticated species
been subjected to, and altered by these factors of captivity? Is there
a continuance of the evolutionary process in both the physical and
mental being of a captive species? Adaptation says, yes! I am no expert
(in anything) but, I must deduce that the process of being taken from
the wild 2500 years ago, (dogs and cats - much longer) ferrets were
domesticated (working) animals, used by their captors to assist them
in hunting wild rabbits for food, and chasing rodents from their homes
and grain stores, to becoming Domestic pets. the multi stage process
of going from Wild to Domesticated to Domestic did not occur last year
or even in the last hundred years. Have you changed, either mentally
and/or physically, in the last five years? I can only answer for
myself: Yes, in many ways, some good - some bad. The point is: change
is a constant! I started with nothing, if I attain anything, I will
have progressed (Emerson). Legal definitions of the terms: Wild -
Domesticated - Domestic, vary by state and need to be addressed to
those state legislatures when needed. Thanks to the importation of game
animals, the legal issue of certain species is further clouded by the
ambiguity of the term "exotic." This term is used extensively to vacate
owner rights by Rental Property managers and Home owners associations.

I must reiterate, I am not an expert (on anything), and I fully expect
to be admonished and/or severely castigated for my ignorance and
impudence. I do not question the knowledge of my esteemed teacher, I
seek only clarity of said information. In prudence, I must question all
information in the sense of how it will impact ferret ownership; both
positive and negative.

Please, Do not further confuse legislators with scientific fact! They
do not have either the time or interest in fact. Legislators are only
interested in pleasing the factions that contribute money and votes
for their reelection.

Dooks and Blessings,

Rick White, Treasurer
San Antonio  Ferret Enthusiasts (SAFE)