From:
ron konstantin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 07:34:27 -0500
It has been a long time since I posted on this list.  It has been at
least 3 years.  Anyway I rejoined to share my post with all the people
who advised me back then.

I have never run a full fledged shelter, but I have rescued a total of
43 ferrets over the last dozen years.  I have made them ready for a new
home, and sent them on their way.  Through the years tho, I have always
had my original ferret "slinky", that I picked from a litter of kits that
belonged to my mom.  Mother tells me she got his parrents when they were
in England, after quite a battle with customs.  Over the years, he has my
best friend.  He was a beautiful campagne and cinnamon silvermitt with
the most unusual amber eyes.  He was unaltered and and not descented
until his 9th year.  (lets just say he had a strong odor until then...)
afterwards he mellowed alot and was one of the most gentle guys I ever
have been blessed to have.

Right before he turned 10 his cataracts were so bad the could'nt see
anymore.  I really miss his wardances, but otherwise he seemed to adapt
to his vision loss pretty well.  His vet told me he was just too old to
risk having the procedure done on him.  He had a habbit of coming to me
while at my computer and putting his little hand on my ankle.  It would
melt my heart, so I would pick him up and he would sleep in my lap.

The last year or so he has been sleeping longer, and hardly playing at
all.  3 months ago he became unable to climb out of his cage without
help.  On April 15th at 10:45 my precious little Slinky passed over the
rainbow bridge, while peacefully sleeping in my lap.  Being born march
25th, 1989 (according to my mom) it would make him the respectable age
of 15 years 21 days.  I Love and miss you buddy.