From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 06:53:16 EDT
Amy Wrote:
>You say that you are not inclined to turn in paperwork ... what if it was
>a yearly thing (like a medical update) and it cost you nothing by postage?
>What if you got a newsletter in return and other freebies or discounts?
>Would it be worth it then?

I might for my personal ferrets, but don't think I would for the shelter
ferrets, there are just too many, and 99% of the time it is a struggle to
get the actual age out of the owner, let alone vet records/medical history
and such.  Often I end up being told the ferret is "about 2", but when I
look at the teeth and the way the ferret walks, I know it is at least 4 :-(
I can barely keep up with the paperwork the state and our shelter policies
require me to have, let alone adding more.  I might be more interested if I
could go to a web site to fill out a form and click it off.  I hate paper,
and "paperwork" seems to pile up and never quite get done in my house.
::::::::::::::heavy sigh:::::::::::::

Reminder to Shelters:
Halloween is coming.  Along with it some "people" seem to crawl from the
cracks.  We've had a couple of "odd" calls for adoptions in the past week.
Please remember that this time of year, certain people seem inclined to do
cruel things to animals, especially ferrets and cats.  Many shelters put a
moratorium on adoptions through the month of October due to Halloween, and
the month of December because of the excitement of other holidays.  We've
found that people who were truly interested in adopting a ferret for the
"right" reasons have no problem waiting until after Halloween or until
January, depending on the month.  I'm always leery of a person who wants to
adopt a ferret "right away", but that feeling becomes intensified during
certain times of the year, this being one of them.  Of course if you
already know the person, it's a different story.  We sent two of our 4 1/2
year old shelter ferrets home to a permanent foster solution with a member
of this list a couple nights ago :-)

Anne