Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 12:20:23 PDT
Ferret Greetings,

Amy Seyler-
Congratulations on the birth of your human baby.  What better place to share
your joy than with your ferret family.  May she enjoy ferrets as much as you
do.

To the person who wrote with chewed wedding party shoes and the possible
trouble of keeping the ferrets especially with a new baby; My husband bought
Rufus (RIP) for me when I was pregnant.  Although I thought I had three more
weeks before the birth of my son, Sebastian decided to show up early.  In
fact, Sebastian was born two days after Rufus put in his appearance.
Anyway, whenever Rufus was out and about I made sure to supervise very, very
closely.  No prolems.  Sebastian couldn't move fast enough to catch Rufus.
Now Sebastian only gets playful nips when trying to pick up a wardancing
fuzzy.  Even though he is five now he still has trouble catching them at
times and sometimes forgets that they will nip if he corners them or are
busy dancing.  The nipping is nothing more than a fuzzy having its mouth
open in excited play mood when Sebastian goes to pick one up.  He has
learned to be calm and move slower so as not to startle them when he wants
to pick one up.  All it takes is supervision, the same watchful eye as if
you had a dog or cat.  IMO a puppy/dog could do more harm to the baby.  My
son does not like it when a dog (same size as him or bigger) jumps on him
because he was pinned down for licks by a playful puppy when he was only one
year old.  When have you heard of a ferret pinning down a human while
playing? :-)  Remember, just being observant and supervising during ferret
playtime should be sufficient.  Good luck.

Ferret hugs,
Donelle

P.S.  Anyone in the Chicago area need to find a home for a fuzzy please let
me know.  A friend of mine (very good pet owner) wants to find a playmate
for her single ferret, Wicket.