From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:08:22 -0800
>From:    "Stanley Coffey Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rescue
>I recieved a lot of very helpful responses to my question of starting a
shelter.

[... and ...]

>From:    Tara Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rescue??
>I have been reading posts lately about shelters - I myself a looking to
>opening one in the future (I know it is a lot of work and sacrifice, but i
>am willing to do anything to help those fuzzies in bad situations)

If you haven't gotten in touch with Fran Wiles you probably should.

She is chair of the American Ferret Association shelter sub-committee.  The
AFA has a lot of very useful information including a Shelter Guidelines
booklet that will help you get it going right.  Talk to all of the other
groups as well.  Alicia Drakotes is the LIFE shelter (have forgotten the
title word they chose).  NAFA doesn't have a shelter specific person.
FURO's gone.  Don't know the local groups nearest you two.

A piece of advice - don't "lock" into one group and avoid shelter politics.
Its a waste of time and distracts from the ferrets and efforts to help
ferrets on a large and small scale.

>2. - this one isn't quite as serious  -  How do you guys keep from keeping
>all of the little guys for yourself :) - i would run myself out of house and
>home trying to keep all of the kids :)

That actally is a big problem with some shelters.  You need to be selective
on who to adopt to but do not be so selective that your new shelter becomes
the ferret black hole.  It does them no good.  You menat it jokingly but it
is a trap.

>From:    RoSSi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Working Ferrets

Being in suburban America we don't use ferrets for ferreting but we love
hearing about it.  We've been invited to go ferreting with some English
friends of ours when we finally make it over there.  There are others here
and hope you folks can conduct open conversations so we can listen in.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]