Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:40:29 -0400
Wow. I never thought that I'd experience 3 deaths in my ferret family
so quickly. Saturday, we found Zeus - in his cage - long after the
doors were open for play time. Friday - he was bouncing and dooking
and having a great time. Saturday - we took him out of the cage and he
laid on the floor struggling to move. His right side was "postured" -
meaning his right feet - were curled under and he couldn't walk. He
did a good job of dragging himself with his good side - so I thought -
maybe this is something that might pass. Nope. Throughout the day - he
was struggling - and finally stopped trying to move at all. Sunday we
spent every two hours - feeding my version of duck soup - since he
couldn't raise himself to eat. I also was feeding him water - which
hed would only take if I mixed it with ferrevite. We spent an entire
weekend feeding, cleaning, cuddling - doing whatever we could. He
obviously couldn't make it to the bathroom, so he just "went" where
he was. It was so humiliating for him. How do I know this? Because he
looked me in the eye - when I was cleaning him up - and I could just
"see it". Does that sound strange? He was eating and drinking fine -
even his bandit treats - but not the dry food. I didn't even try him
on that. And of course, my vet wasn't open. His "emergency" vet was out
too. They referred me to "Petroglyph's Animal Hospital" When I called
them, they said there was "no vet" there today - and they couldn't
see them til Thursday. I asked them why they are listed as my doc's
emergency service then - and the girl - actually laughed - and said: I
don't know....... What the hell? The only place open was VCA - and if
anyone can remember what they did to Helena, they'll understand why I
wouldn't take him there. Today - he is having problems eating and
drinking. He is eating his ferretvite off fingers - but I think it is
time to now make the trip to the vet I never EVER thought I would have
to take. Never had to put one of my kids down - but it looks like he
isn't going to pull out o f this. I can't understand what happened.
He has NEVER been sick - the whole time we've had him. He was my
"permanent foster" from the Humane Society here. He never had health
issues - and like I said earlier - he was fine on Friday. The only
thing I can come up with is maybe he had a stroke? It is about the only
thing that makes sense, but again - I am not a vet. We will be at the
vet at 10 am. Unless he can pull some miracle out of his fanny - Zeus
will be going to join Helena, Ricky and Artie. You know I thought I did
so good with Ricky and Artie - not crying too hard, taking it as "life
happens:". With Zeus - I can't seem to stop crying, and I don't know
why. This SUCKS. I mean when we got him - we were told he was around 7
years old. That was four years ago. I didn't really believe he was that
old, as he had so much "bounce" to him. If they were right though, he
would be around 11. Personally - I think he is closer to 7 or 8, right
around Ricky and Artie's age when they passed away. Either way - please
say a prayer for my Zeus-a-saurus. I am pretty sure that by the time
you all read this - he will be at the Rainbow Bridge. Saraferret -
help!! Please ask Ricky, Helena, Artie - and Sinbad Da Kat to meet him
there so he won't be alone and scared. And would everyone please pray
that I can accept this and stop crying some time soon I can't
understand why this hurts so much this time. Maybe it is because now
all my "oldsters" are now gone. I am not sure I can even think about
getting anymore of these guys. It absolutely hurts so bad - almost
worse than losing a "hooman" of mine - isn't that wierd? How they can
dig into your hear - and just take pieces of it out when they leaveg?
Anyone that knows what may have caused this - please feel free to email
me. I am lost right now and don't know if I can even find my way
back......

Kim and her declineing Army of Idiots........missing Ricky, Laina,
Artie - and now Zeus.