From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 15:11:43 -0500
Hi Scott and Leann,

I, and many others feel that a wire cage bottom in NOT suitable for
ferrets.  Linoleum is a great option.  It's very easy to keep clean.  You
can still use material on the ramps (make sure to wash this often) as it
will be easier to grip.  If you cant fit a whole sheet in, (too big) buy
peel and stick tiles, that say there should be less cutting to fit.  use
this on all flat surfaces.  Ferrets also love hammocks.  This can be a
simple as a square of material from old clothes and a twist tie to hold
it on.  It might take a while, but once they try it, they'll love it.  A
sleepy sack is important too.

I don't know what you mean about the couch - you could try though, to use
1/2" x2" lumber and metal corner tees to attach around the sides of the
couch, flush with the floor.  This way you could paint it to match stuff.

24" might be a little short.  if this is a step over door, make it as high
as you can and still be able to step over it.

Zoom may have been coughing due to grooming herself.  They usually only
couch up clear liquid though.  Keep an eye on her though, in case it
continues.  And give them both Cat or Ferret Laxative.

I wouldn't worry about the ear chewing as long as Noone is getting hurt,
and there's no damage to her ear.

I had to laugh and nod in agreement about your comment on ferret attention
span.  I don't think they ever grow out of it, it's just part of living and
loving with ferrets.  Just grin and 'ferret'.

Lara with Smokey, Chaos, Baby Boy and Phantom.