From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:48:46 -0500
Hi Everyone,

Yes, I am still alive and kicking. I should have the survey results finished
up in a couple of days, if I can keep Pookie off the 'pooter. ;-)

Colds & Stuff---
Ollie has been sick for a couple of weeks now.  I was sick with some kind of
bug and he caught it from me.  He had yucky poop, ran a high fever and was
severely congested.  But the congestion was in his chest, didn't show up at
all in his head.  He also had conjuctivitis with it too.  When he first got
sick, he wouldn't even stand on his own, much less walk.  I was really
worried for about 48 hours.  The vet gave him a baby aspirin to cut the
fever and a prescription of antibiotics to head off any secondary
infections.  Glad to say he is doing much better now.  I have heard of this
same kind of stuff in Houston also.

Carpet in Cages---
I have cut cage liners out of indoor/outdoor carpet runner sold by the foot
at places like Home Depot.  Its cheap and can be washed in the washing
machine and dried.  It shrinks slightly when you do this.  It does have
rubber on the back but it doesn't seem to be affected by washing.  To secure
it I have used double sided carpet tape, but honestly they seem to leave it
pretty much alone for the most part.  In the big cage it isn't secured.  On
doors I attached a piece with picture hanging wire.  It is twisted and I
take *one* strand and run it through holes poked into the carpet with an ice
pick.  This gives the little guys something to walk on going in and out of
their cages.

Buying Rescues--
I have to put in my two cents on this one.  Nicky, Pookie Bear's boyfriend,
is a bought rescue.  I am not a shelter but when I lived in Houston, as a
club rep, I went to a pet shop that had sold a whole female to find out
where she came from.  This pet shop had a 3 year old ferret, who couldn't
use his hind legs, in a wire bottom cage with no bedding, no toys, and no
company.  The boy had been at 3 different pet stores trying to be sold.  I
was afraid of him loosing a foot in the cage and the owner of the store
really didn't give a damn.  So I bargained her down on the "hurt" ferret,
which she insisted was just lame due to muscle weakness.  I took him straight
to my vet for radiographs only to discover that this guy had probably had
something dropped on him, he had a *healed* injury to his spine.  Nicky boy
has been a wonderful ferret ever since.  I hate to think what would have
happened to him otherwise.  Only an experienced animal/ferret owner would
have even thought about buying an animal with lameness.  So sometimes, there
are no other options for the poor little guys.

Hugs to all,

Maggie Mae and the Mid Missourian Mustelid Mob and the Felonious Felines