From:
Ferret PAWS NZ Inc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 21:41:22 +1300
I am currently preparing the New Zealand Ferret Protection and Welfare
Society Incorporated submission on the Public Discussion Document "What can
we do about ferrets" that has been released by the New Zealand Government.
This document outlines a range of proposed restrictions to be imposed on
domestic ferrets, up to, and including, a total ban on keeping pet ferrets.

One area of information that would be helpful for me is if anyone has any
research, or case study data, on the effects that have arisen from the ban
on ferrets in California.  The type of thing I am looking for are animal
welfare issues that might arise from the inability or reluctance to obtain
veterinary assistance, genetic degradation from the effects of driving
breeding "underground" or any other adverse effects that might help our
case.

I am also interested if anyone can provide me with a reliable (or at least
quotable) estimate of the number of ferrets in California.

And finally can anyone provide any detail on the susceptability of ferrets
to Toxaplasmosis, and whether or not they pass this disease on in their
faeces.

Please reply to [log in to unmask], as I don't always have the time to
read all the digests that come in.

If you want more information on the situation in New Zealand, then
contact me at the above address, or else you can access the public
discussion document through our web-page at
www.geocities.com/heartland/village/9074

Regards

John Chessum
President