From:
Melissa Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 22:33:07 -0400
Hi, All!

Okay, no promises that this will work for everyone... it's so simple that I
feel stupid for posting it, but I'm in awe that it works, so bear with me
(I can't tell a short story):

My MW cage (grrrr... not tickled w/it) has 6 fuzzies in it.  No flaming,
friends; they get lots of run time out of it and have lots of hammocks &
multiple TF & water sites inside of it.  They're HAPPY to be in it when
they are 'cause they all crash hard (lotsa ferret zzz's goin' on)!

I got so tired of corner litter pans in each corner, the fuzzbutts crawling
around behind them, pushing them around then going poop BEHIND the box,
NEXT TO the box, only occasionally IN the box that I completely changed the
poopability factor (i.e., layout) of the cage.

"It's FERRET FENG SHUI.....yeah, that's the ticket!!"   LOL

I stuffed the entire floor of the cage with cozy blankies, towels and
inside-out sweatshirts (my fuzzies are NOT fleece-eaters, thank goodness).
The food & water are on the other 2 levels; nowhere near the floor.  OH,
BTW, the bottom ramp is completely GONE and replaced with strategically
placed hammocks which make up & down movement easy.

In the VERY CENTER of the bottom floor sleeping action I cleared away the
blankies & put one of those rectangular, high-walled MF litterboxes.  If
someone poops in a cage corner, I remove the offended towel, blanket, etc.
and replace it with a fresh one.  Believe it or not, though, they hardly
EVER go for the corner of the cage now!!  MacDaddy even puts his paws on
the top of a wall so that he can take a gander around while he does his
"business"!  Hm...maybe they need a magazine or two..?  LOL

Changing the litter box daily, which you really want to do with 6
poopmeisters anyway, really makes a big difference to them also.  They're
NOT impressed if their back paws hit used Yesterday's News!

These days, if they're not sleeping in the hammocks they're sleeping all
around the box (usually behind it), on the blankies.

So... I know that this is usually a big source of frustration and it was
frustrating for me, too, until this worked!  My one suggestion for the
newbies: stick with one thing for a little while & let the fuzzies try it
out/get used to it.  If it doesn't work after that, change it and see if
they do any better with the new arrangement!  If not, change it again!
Good Luck!

Hugs & good thoughts to everyone whose fuzzy is sick or has gone over the
Rainbow Bridge.  If your fuzzy is healthy & happy, count your blessings
today.

Melissa,
proud mom to Dexter, Cocoa, MoJo, RockStar, MacDaddy, Fluffy & Cosmo,
the wonder-foster ferret!  Still missing Da Dodge...