From:
Paul Ogles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 19:07:42 -0400
Hi, All,
I was skimming Hickman, 'Animal Diversity' the other day, and a note got me
thinking.  On page 18 he says that protein electrophoresis (whatever that
is) has shown that at least 30% of the 10,000 gene loci on Drosophila fruit
flies are polymorphic, w/ up to 6 variations.  The typical fruit sucker is
about 12% heterozygous.

I'm not sure this is useful information 8^), but I wonder how limited the
gene pool is for domestic ferrets?  I'm getting concerned about in-breeding
w/ my own stock.  I can find safe crosses next year, but need a solid
'cinnamon/dilute blaze/DEW' out cross to go much further w/ this color
strain.

Basic theory says that genetic drift is the result of too small a breeding
population.  It is rare in the wild, tho I've heard that all Cheetahs are
more closely related than human siblings.  Still, we have done a fair job of
shrinking the pool for ferrets- I hear very little about wild polecat blood
being brought in.

It is unlikely that any mammals are as diverse as fruit flies.  After all,
there may well be more Drosophila in the world than there are mammals!
Still, if anyone can provide a comparison to something more understandable
like cats or humans, I'd appreciate hearing.

So much for idle speculation,
     Paul