From:
Dawn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 07:36:56 -0500
Hi to all of you,
Sorry I didn't write you after the surgery but I've been in tears and
depressed ALL day!!!!!  Things are not well with my baby!!!  :-(

When the surgery was over Dr Blair came out and told me he had a tumor
a little bigger then a golf ball size and it was squeezing against his
kidney, spleen (which caused the spleen to enlarge also) and intestines.
He felt he would be able to remove it successfully and started to do just
that, He got half of it out but not without problems, when he started
cutting it out Tazy started bleeding profusely as the tumor had alot of
blood vessels attached to it which of course caused the very rapid growth
of the tumor, when he was finally able to cap off the bleeders he started
to remove the rest of the tumor, but to his shock and surprise the other
part started to fall apart in little pieces!!!!!  He had ONE HELL of a
time removing the rest of it but did so!!!!

The prognosis is not good for my Baby as he is afraid that it will grow
back.  He explained it all to me why he thought that, but my mind was VERY
FOGGY at the time and I couldn't comprehend all that he was explaining to
me he said something to the fact that he was worried that the tumor may
have attacked his intestines!!!!!

So the outcome is this, we have to watch Tazy closely, and hope for the
best.  He will have to go back in to remove his spleen eventually, he felt
it was too much to do at that time as Tazy lost alot of blood, Dr Blair
didn't think Tazy would even make it through the first critical 24 hours!!!
But so far he is doing well!!!!!  :-) I went to visit with him from 4 to
six last night and he was still groggy but alert, and picked up his head
and looked at me everytime he heard my voice!!!!  He even tried to get
out of the cage!!!!!

Dr Blair said that he has never seen anything like this before and was kind
of stumped and shocked when he saw it!!!  He has done hundreds of surgeries
on ferrets as they are what he specializes in and he came VERY HIGHLY
recommended to me!!!  I trust him explicitly with my Fuzzies lives, and
would not take my babies anywhere else!!!!  He told me that if I would have
elected to not have the surgery that Tazy would have had maybe a month left
the most due to such rapid growth of the tumor and that I did the right
thing!!!!  So now I have to take one day at a time and hope and pray for
a miracle!!!!

I will be picking Tazy up today, and I will be able to comprehend and
understand more of what he's told me and so I will get back to you all
with more info!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT, THOUGHTS, and PRAYERS!!!!!!!! :-)

P.S. Thank you for the after care suggestions also, they will be much
needed!!!!!!!

Dawn, and the Terrible Two's Gang, Tazy, Trouble, Rosy, and the 4 lb
fuzz, Baby Joey

http://community.webtv.net/tazyd/AllAboutMyFerrets
http://community.webtv.net/tazyd/My4LeggedChildren
http://community.webtv.net/tazyd/FamilyAlbum