From:
debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 05:43:45 -0700
Hi Tressie,

Rat tail is caused usualy by over production of oil from the ferret's
oil glands anf the pores get clogged. It's usually a seasonal condition
which is seen during the warmer weather months. In the past 16yrs I
have seen this more in males than females. You can treat it by washing
the tail and keeping it clean. I supose to much oil added to the diet
can cause this too but rat tail is not seen in every ferret whch makes
me believe it is caused by individual chemical makeup. I used to shave
my ferret's tails and clean the tails but now I pretty much leave the
tails aloce because as cooler weather shows up, the rat tail
dissapears.

Debi