From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1993 12:01:20 -0400
Congrats again to Chris for achieving the 500 milestone.  I've noticed an
upswing in ferret traffic both here and on CompuServe -- it's really
something!

> I should point out that we're on autopilot now, every morning at 5:02am
> an issue will go out if there's something to send.  You'll see me from
> time to time, but now it happens on its own.  And I'm going to try
> to keep it that way this time.

Does that mean you've worked out the kinks in preventing "situations"
arising from the posting of forged messages or bogus recipes? (Or some
reasonable facsimile thereof?) :-) And that you still handle anonymous
postings by hand?  Just curious about the inner workings of my favorite
newsletter!

*******
> Date:   Sat, 26 Jun 1993 12:54:52 -0400
> From:   Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > From:   [log in to unmask] (Katherine Fritz)
> > To Nancy Hartman:
> > post it on the listserver.  Whatever annotation you do, please be sure to
> > give credit to Pam Grant!  (And I assume whatever updates you're making in
> > the way of vet names and contacts you are also passing along to Pam on
> > GEnie?)
>
> Didn't we already discuss this?  Maybe it was Bill...  Anyway, yes I
> intend to give full credit to STAR*ferrets, and will put additional
> information indented to make it obvious as to what is mine.

Didn't mean to ruffle any fur or feathers here! :-) I apologize for any
misunderstanding -- I use the STAR listing in my work as a Compuserve
section leader on the Pets Forum, and recently got a stern reminder of the
importance of giving Pam proper credit, so I was just feeling a little
sensitized when I read your message, Nancy.  Yes, we did talk about it
before.

I think your idea of providing your file as a separate list has merit,
though.  For one thing, then you won't have to worry about updating it
everytime we get an update from Pam.  And I believe she updates it quite
frequently.  Also, I'm pretty certain that Bill Gruber has gotten
permission from Pam to post the list, as is, on the listserver.  Correct
me if I'm wrong, Bill!

********
Suki, I'm really impressed with the thoroughness of your list!  I have a
few comments, since you asked. :-)

Under "get me to the vet," I would add:
        serious weight loss (esp. sudden)
        vulva swelling (both in neutered and unneutered females, esp.
                combined with noticeable hair loss)
        severe lethargy
        severe reaction following vaccination

Under basic training tips, I would add:
        teaching your ferret not to bite
        litterbox training

Under household hazards, I would add:
        plumbing access covers

Under feeding, I would add:
        pros & cons of commercial cat, kitten & ferret foods
        why (some) ferrets don't like ferret food

I think there also should be a section on choosing a new ferret -- pet
stores vs. private breeder vs. shelter -- since we do see a fair number of
people who haven't got a ferret yet, but want one.  Also: ferrets and
other pets, including introducing a new ferret to other ferrets/other
animals, introducing a cat or dog to a ferret household, ferrets and cats,
ferrets and dogs, ferrets and birds, ferrets and rabbits, ferrets and
rodents (I get a lot of these questions on CompuServe, enough so that I'm
starting to want a standard paragraph or three!).

Did you have something about the merits/demerits of descenting?  (Since
virtually all pet store ferrets are descented, yet the common wisdom seems
to be "don't descent if it can be otherwise avoided."

Was there anything about dealing with ferrets who are climbers, jumpers or
diggers?  I'm talking about SERIOUS climbing, jumping & digging (as in the
plants).

Or transporting ferrets in a car, dealing with airlines, what kind of
carriers are suitable, how often to feed & water while on a trip.

Using a pet sitter when going away for the weekend, for a week or more.
What to look for in a sitter.  Pros & cons of using a kennel or cattery (I
don't know any pros, myself! <g>)

I think that's enough for now! :-)  Let me know if I can help in any way.

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153