From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:47:32 -0800
Dr. Deeb (NOT Deebs) is not on this list, and can therefore not rebutt
Danielle's statements.  As a friend of Dr.Deeb and as someone who is aware
of the situation which Danielle misrepresented I hope I will be allowed to
state the other side of the story.

When Dr. Deeb recommended blood work be done (as had the previous vet whom
Daniele has seen and whom Dr. Deeb contacted) Daniele refused to pay for
those tests telling Dr. Deeb that she'd already paid for all the blood
tests she was going to pay for (many months previously she had had blood
work done).  Dr. Deeb told her that more current blood work was necessary.
(Dr. Deeb spent well over ONE HOUR in discussion with this client and she
certainly deserved to be paid for her time.) Danielle did not agree with
what Dr. Deeb was recommending and so she went to two more vets.
Apparently both other vets also told her that blood work was necessary and
Danielle must have finally agreed to pay for the lab work.  (Danielle's
last two vets also routinely consult with Dr. Deeb and both did discuss
the situation of Danielle with her, but the discussion was NOT as Danielle
presented it.)

Dr. Deeb has taken care of literally hundreds of ferrets who have passed
through my shelter.  I don't even know how many successful surgeries we've
had done at her clinic...way too many for me to stop and count right now.
When Dr. Deeb is unsure of a particular case, she too consults with other
veterinarians, not something that someone with a large ego would do.  A
large percentage of her practice is ferrets.  I know she has clients who
come from as far away as Olympia and Bellingham.  Those of us who know her
would *never* put "ego" in the same sentence with her name.  She is the
most compassionate person and veterinarian I have had the pleasure of
working with over the years.  She has been a huge help to our shelter
ferrets and to the many ferrets throughout the Seattle area.  And yes,
during that 10 year period Dr. Deeb and I have developed a relationship
so that we now call one another "friend".

>and even went as far as to tell me how "hard it is to get blood from a
>ferret".

What a ridiculous statement...Dr. Deeb routinely does blood work on my
ferrets and all of her other patients when she thinks it necessary.  She
will not however PAY for those tests.  It is the clients responsibility
to that.

After the death of her 10 1/2 year old ferret earlier this year, Dr. Deeb
still has three ferrets of her own at home.  Two she adopted from my
shelter when they were 6 years of age because she knew they'd be hard to
place, another she accepted from a client who wanted to euthanize the
ferret because she didn't want to spend the money for an adrenal surgery.
Her other ferret lives at her clinic.  I forget how old Asher is, but
clients see him dooking around the clinic along with her two rabbits and
her 22 year old cat.

I'm certain that even Dr. Williams has encountered patients whom he could
not satisfy, but posting nasty notes from his clients to this list would
ALSO be uncalled for.  I hope that BIG will not allow future posts
attempting to discredit excellent veterinarians.

Sandi Ackerman

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
M       10-6
T-F     10-7
S       10-6
Su      11-5

[Moderator's note: Posts attempting to discredit vets will be allowed,
as will posts attempting to defend them.  People can then decide for
themselves how they wish to view things.  BIG]