Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 11:41:17 EDT
>Well, we didn't get six feet before Allis started bucking bike a
>bronco, but things were different this time. I was determined to take
>*her* for a drag for a change if that's what it took. Yes, I had
>undergone an Attitude Adjustment in the night. I had read the Caesar
>Milano web page you folks had sent me to. I was feeling Alpha, with
>bells on! Rrrr!

I want to start by saying I am glad you found something that works. I
used GLs for years in my classes until I got sick of fighting with dogs
over wearing them. They do work to stop pulling, although most dogs
never totally get used to them.

However, just a word of warning - be VERY careful using head collars.
There is a great potential for your dog to injure herself hitting
against a head collar too hard. You should have desensitized her to it
before "taking her for a drag" with it on. One of the reasons I dislike
head collars, other then that dogs HATE them is that there is too much
room for error in their use. Your dog's reaction to the GL was not an
"alpha issue" - she was scared, confused and had no idea why you were
doing what you were doing. Keep in mind that to a dog a "muzzle grab"
is a correction, so your dog felt she was being corrected and had no
idea why. This explains why dogs react the way Allis did:
<http://www.johnknowsdogs.com/gentle-leader-explained.htm>

For future reference: You can gradually desensitize your dog to a GL
by putting it on giving a treat, then taking it off. After that you
can have her eat with it on, then walk around the house with it on. It
usually takes at least a couple weeks of work before you can walk them.
IMO it is much safer and less stressful for the dog to introduce it
before walking with it - just as you would a puppy who is wearing a
collar for the first time. You should never allow her to have more
leash then what would keep her comfortably next to you, letting her go
out 6' with a Gentle Leader on is setting her up to injure herself. As
much as possible do not allow your dog to strain against the collar as
that is the most liekly thing to cause injury with these collars other
then hitting the end of them hard. Of course you don't want to use them
with a Flexi and you don't want to ever tether the dog with a GL on
(shouldn't even have to say those but I see soooo many people who do).
Also your dog can still bite with a head collar on - don't be fooled
into false security!

Nikki