From:
Chris Weiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 07:53:17 -0500
To the person who's ferret is itching and living in pine/cedar shavings.
Get him off the shavings now.  Right now.  Go on!  Hurry!  I'll wait.  Go!!!
Okay, I thank you and your ferret will thank you.  The pet store was wrong!
Another case of lack of info and treating ferrets like small rodent pets.
(the pet store, no flame to you-or the pet store, really) The shavings are
itchy and ferrets are allergic to oils, etc.  in them.  Especially cedar.
Use flannel sheets, towels that are not unraveling, baby blankets, and that
sort of thing for bedding.  In the litter box, use something with little or
no dust.  Not clumping or clay cat litter.  I use rabbit food pellets
because they are cheap and do the job well.  There are other pelleted things
on the market like wood stove pellets, recycled newspaper litter pellets,
and maybe some other stuff.  Heaven only knows what the pet shop told you
was okay for food, so what are you feeding?  A good quality pet shop kitten
food is best or a good quality ferret food.  Not Kaytee, L&M, or 8in 1
ferret food, but Marshall's or Totally ferret.  I feed Iam's Kitten and my
four do well on it.  Anyway, hope this helps.  I'm sure you will be getting
lots of people helping you here.  Good Luck.

To the person who's ferret is chewing wire-none of mine do that now, but
when I had rabbits and guinea pigs (notorious chewers) I would put aquarium
hose piping around the wires.  I would slice some lengthwise and wrap it
around the wires.  It's fairly inexpensive, especially if you buy it loose,
not packaged.  It doesn't stop them from chewing, but it does protect the
wires and can be replaced much easier than the wire or the ferret.  Hope
this helps.

Chris and the four redecorators