From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:11:13 -0800
I agree that keeping a ferret in a garage sounds pretty horrible.

Ferrets are VERY social. They should be able to hear and see the people
in the home. I think it's downright cruel to cut them off from this by
keeping them in a garage. And I wonder just how clean the cage is? My
ferrets' cage is one of those huge Quality Cage Ferret Mansions and
it's in my bedroom. I scoop the poop daily and dump the pans entirely
about twice a week. Since it's RIGHT THERE under my nose in my bedroom
it's kept super clean. How clean is a cage in a room you might not go
into every day? And how easy would it be to not notice empty water
bowls and food bowls?

And how warm can a garage really get? If there's a garage door it's
not normally an airtight room - drafts can easily get in.

I also agree that ferrets shouldn't be in the same room where paint,
pesticides, gasoline etc are kept in.

I know there's exceptions to the rule - some people modify their
garages and make it a room in the house. One shelter I know of has
a lot of their ferret cages set up in what used to be their garage.
But with heat AND A/C in the room this room is probably the most
comfortable room in the house. Plus a shelter is an exception - of
course someone will be in their several of times a day tending to
the ferrets.

So anyway, just wanted to chime in my two cents. I've had ferrets for
over 10 years and they've ALWAYS been in my bedroom. I wouldn't have
it any other way. Plus how does one deal with not being able to hear
the sweet little "Choooo!" sounds of a ferret dreaming????

Laura