From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:48:56 -0600
It's funny how things happen all at once!  Two days ago my 5 year old boy,
Chook, caught a back toenail in a box that I had removed all the large
staples from.  His toenail got caught in the hole where the staples had
been removed from.  I too got the bleeding under control through pressure
and Kwik Stop after quickly cleaning in hydrogen peroxide.  A day later
Chook walks on that foot like nothing has happened.  My husband scoured the
room before finding the nail in one of the holes in the box.  By the look
of the nail, the "root" was still inside Chook's foot.

As we took in a cat 4 years ago that had one of his back toenails torn out
as well, and even the vet thought it would not grow back, but it did.  His
foot was very sensitive to touch and the nail grew back with no deformities.

Adriennne, you mentioned in your post that it looked like the whole nail
was ripped out... if you still have the nail, look to see if it is slightly
hollow at the end.  Chances are that the important part of the nail is still
safe inside the toe.  Keep the toe clean and you should be okay.  Keep an
eye on it for signs of infection.  Good luck to Misty!

Betty and her Blur O'Fur