From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 22:22:43 -0400
Melissa and Potpie here -
Well, my first experience with the 'state just gone legal' syndrome has
left me with a new ferret.  One of my cousins had a ferret given to her
daughter as a present, and while the cousin is not opposed to having the
pet, the daughter doesnt think it's such a great fun new thing any more.
Since im the only person in the immediate (and extended) family with a
ferret right now, they asked (and i accepted!) if i would like to adopt her.

I dont have her yet, though. I dont know (and the owners dont) where she
was purchased, where she was raised (she's a year old) or even if she's
fixed ("She's been...i dont know the term, um, descented? I think that's
it." "Has she been fixed too?" "Oooh, i dont know. Do they need to be?")
I dont know where she got her last shots, what shots they were, or how
long ago they were.

What i do know:
She's 1 year old, albino, doesnt bite, and is currently affixed with the
name of 'Ruby' (quick! quick! find a REAL name for her, mom! - potpie).
She is, i quote, "...paper-trained...she always goes right on the papers
we set down for her."  She's descented, so she's probably been fixed, and
likes playing in her water dish. My cousin thought she weighed about a
pound, but i dont know much more about how big she is.

My ISSUE at hand:
Potpie, who is nipping much less now thanks to an active regimen of
new-found freedom about the house and nose-flicking retraining, does not
like other ferrets. Her first reaction is to stand stock still until the
other ferret comes within reach, at which point she lets loose with a
hard, sharp 'CHEE' sound and lunges for the other ferret. After that,
it's hunt-and-kill-and-kill.

Im prepared with lots of free time and two cages and plenty of treats (i
think i lost my bitter apple bottle, though), so i plan on doing
everything the FAQ suggests. I'd like as much individual insight as
possible, however - please send me stories of successes and failures and
whos and hows and whys! Please send 'em to my email address, and i'll
eventually post the one that works. :) :)

Potpie,
"MY dryer hose, MY hammock, MY shoes, MY sweatpants, MY stuffed animals,
and MY plastic bags."
and
Melissa,
*fret*

PS - go californians!  one of my near future states of residence is very
probably going to be CA, and the weasels would hate a state trooper welcome..

      Melissa Litwicki         "It's big, sharp teeth and claws versus
      [log in to unmask]              a mind of questionable wit."