From:
lucyfurr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 15:52:34 -0000
Dear Friends and fellow ferret lovers,

Let me start by apologizing for the cross post and the terrible spelling.
I have a couple of questions I think you guys can help me with.  First a
bit of background....

Our 3 year old ferret has had quite a bit of trouble in the past 11 months.
First, last August, we operated on her and removed tumors on *both* her
adrenal glands.  She would also have occational bouts of vomiting and not
eating which we treated with Amoxycilyn (sp?).  Then, just a week ago, she
went into a insylonomic (sp?) coma so we started her on Prednasone (sp?).
We also learned that the tumor on her right adrenal had grown back!!  In
less than a week she had three attacks, the last may or may not have been
related because she went into terrible seizures.  We rushed her to the vet
who had to keep her overnight since she couldn't come out of the siezure
even after being pumped full of Valium (yeah, I can spell that one).  The
next morning she was still twitching quite badly and the vet (absolutely
wonderful guy) determined there was probably brain damage and, after
spending a bit of time with her, it really seemed he was right.  So we had
no choice but to say goodbye.  This just happened yesterday and both my
husband and I are *completely* torn up.

Now, my first question is how common is this amount of medical problems in
a ferret so young?  I could understand if she were 8 or so, but this seems
unusual.  Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Second, our other ferret seems really lonely.  We weren't planning to get
another one (too much emotional pain) but she seems to be quite depressed.
They were'nt terribly close but they would play and sleep with each other.
Now she's on her own and seems to be lonely.  Is this just a period of
mourning or should we get her another buddy?  *I*, of course, want to get
another (or 5), but I'm not sure it would be the responsible thing to do &
I'm not sure how much the obvious absence is effecting my desire.

Finally, our remaining ferret is about 5 years old.  *If* we decide to get
another one, we'd definitely want one *about* the same age (shelter baby).
Are we just asking for it medically or is there really any way to know?
Finances are of course a consideration, but there's no treatment we would
refuse a baby.  We just don't want to adopt a ferret just entering a stage
where the medical problems are just beginning - too much emotional &
financial pressure.

So, sorry for the long post, but any help or advice is *definitely*
appreciated!

  -lucy