From:
"Bryce..." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1993 22:33:22 -0500
Hello...

Below is note I posted on CIS. I got some helpful replies and want to share
this with everybody here for more responses, maybe to help other new owners.

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/
I am at my wits end!!!!

Out little carpet shark is driving my wife nuts, and I can't handle the
constant discipline problem.

First off I'll discuss my wifes problem.  Kitee harasses her to no end. As she
walks thru the house, Kitee bounces on her feet, biting her toes, sometimes
very hard. When my wife tries to sit in the front room, Kitee constantly crawls
over her, getting in her face, crawling under her blanket constantly nipping at
her body. The key word in this paragraph here is "Constantly." When I walk thru
the house Kitee never attacks my feet, and when she does she sort of just hops
around and bounces in and out. She *never* nips or bites me. When I sit on the
couch, Kitee bothers me for a minute or two. I sort of shove her off the couch
or place her on the floor and she scampers off to someplace she is not supposed
to be, (*My* problem, next paragraph). When my wife sits on the couch with me
and Kitee comes up she runs back and forth about 3 or 4 times then jumps in on
harassing my wife. She scoots her off the couch and she returns, she places her
on the ground and she returns, over and over and over and over. It has come to
the point that when Kitee comes out of her cage my wife locks herself in the
bedroom until I put the "Little Terror" back. It's really making wife sorry we
spent almost $200.00 on a pet that she can't be around.  HELP!!

Now my problem. I have had to stop typing this message about 10 times (here I
go again), to restrain Kitee from something. At least 7 of these this morning
have been to keep her off of the kitchen table.  She gets a flick on the nose
every time. Yesterday, the day before,the day before that...etc...etc...etc.
She will not learn that there are things she must stay off of and away from. I
mean, really, 8 or 9 times within 3 minutes. How long will this go on?

Also, while I am here. I read about peoples little carpet sharks who "Calm
Down" after about a half hour, maybe an hour, and crash. When Kitee comes out
of her cage in the morning, she is never rests, never! I have tried to leave
her out of the cage long enough to see where she will nap. We even have taken
some of her towels and a stocking cap she sleeps in and put it in a corner. She
gets out at about 8 A.M. and we have to go to work at 2:30, and "She Never
Stops...Ever".

Well I have to go get her off the kitchen table again!
*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\

I also have a funny story to share.

We keep Kitee in her cage when we don't have time to watch her and keep her on
the straight & narrow. While she is in her cage she of course has food and
water, a towel on the bottom of the cage, 2 or 3 toys, her litter box and a
black stocking cap in which she crawls into to sleep.

Well, I came into her room to check on her. She had dragged her hat into the
litter box and was sleeping. I grabbed the hat, with her inside, and put her
back on her towel. I came back in an hour or so later and found her again,
sleeping in her hat in the litter box. I grabbed the hat and her with it and
brought it out and was going to let her play for a while. Well, I reached in
the hat and I could not find Kitee. She was in there somewhere! I pulled the
hat inside out, no Kitee. I pulled the 2 layers of cloth apart, no Kitee. The
hat had a wet spot in it, but I could not reach my little Houdini. Finally,
after rolling her and the hat around on the floor I found a tiny hole in which
she had climbed. I got her out of this tiny hole at last, along with some of
her...uummm...droppings. I can only guess that I have her so well trained to go
in the litter box that she crawled, hat and all, into the box and did her
business, falling asleep in the litter box. Not once, mind you, but twice!

Well, she now is the proud owner  of a new, hunter orange, stocking cap, and
she has become very accustomed to it already.

Even with the troubles I have described above,I would not ever consider being
owned by any other animal. I shall be patient and understanding in my
training...(me being trained by Kitee I mean). Well I better go keep an eye on
the trouble maker, she is trying to run off with my new scanner!

  -:~[ Bryce, Pam & Kitee]~:-
   30-Dec-93 @ 20:28:36 MST