From:
Vickie LoMonaco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:02:58 -0500
First off, let me thank everyone who has so generously offered advice
regarding my co-habitating ferret and rabbit.  I was truly surprised at how
many people cared enough to reply.  That makes me feel good about this
'community', that's for sure!

I think I have the problem solved.  Time will tell.  I have the rabbit cage
up high, on a big tall sturdy table about four feet off the ground with no
furniture close enough for Moogie (our ferret) to use as a step to reach it.
I've tried leaving the door open now, and they don't seem to be aware of
each other's existence.  Yeah!!!  And, when I let the bunny run around, I'll
keep him confined to my daughter's room and just shut the door.  When he's
had enough exercise, he always returns to his cage (which I'll have to set
down in the floor for these little adventures, now), and it's all very easy.
Next ferret question to all of you ferrety folks: I need advice on diet.
He's a year and a half old, and has what I believe to be very unusual eating
habits for a ferret.  He ignores ferret food, ignores premium kitten food,
ignores wet ferret or kitten food, ignores them whether they are cheap or
expensive brands; he ignores meat, raisins, and bananas.  The only things he
apparently wants to eat is my dog's Kibbles 'N' Bits dog food, Ferretone,
and anything with sugar he can manage to get to.  I feed my dog in the
bathroom, and Moogie hovers at the door waiting for any chance to get in.
I try to stop him as much as possible by keeping the door shut.  But,
inevitably, it gets left open, for a host of reasons too long to list.  I
intend to keep trying to keep him away from it.  My question is, how do I
get him to eat ferret food?  Or good cat food?  Any suggestions on what to
try?