From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:53:00 -0700
Hi Everyone:

I recently made an interactive toy out of the black drainage tubing for
my furry crew. I opted to go with the black tubing without holes as I
knew the pieces would not be real long for the project. I bought two 10
foot sections that cost me about $10.85, purchased at out local Lowes.

I cut the tubes into equal lengths of about 31" laid them a top one
another in a "4 on the bottom, three on top formation." This is the
final layout per ferret preference, I actually had more, but the
ferrets seem to like this best. I simply duct taped them together -
some ferrets chew on duct tape so you might want to watch for that. My
guys love to run in and out and chasing each other in circles because
there are so many openings (7 on each end of the collective tubes.) If
they come out the second level they can hang upside down and look
around or swat someone below. Sometimes there is one on level two face
down and one on level one, face up. It is comical to watch. The ridges
in the tubing are a great feature for back scratching. Of course the
simple addition of a sheet or towel allows for concealment to pounce
on a passing friend, or the ability to climb on top of the the tubes
and lie in wait or rest.

When it is not in use we stand it on end taking up less room and
preventing human tripping (my specialty). It has been affectionately
named "The Missile Silos."

Do keep in mind if you have this tubing outside in the sun in a play
yard it can get pretty hot.

Another warning I would like to share is that long clear tubes around
older ferrets especially in hot weather can be a problem if they are
wound around another object to give them loops or dips etc. My 7 1/2
year old male who is dealing with insulinoma went into a clear flexible
tube I had wound around a black tube and tied in place. He got into the
the third curve and was too pooped to come put. I untied the tubing and
scrunched it together to take him out. It was a reminder to think about
the abilities of all my fur kids when I leave toys out for them. Tube
toys are always supervised or put away now. My guy likes to still try
to do what the others can do, especially inhis more active days. So,
remember to think safety first!

Another project my son just made for the kids with a sturdy box from
the Memory Foam mattress he got has the clear tubing running through
it. If you place three holes on sides 1, 2, & 3 and leave the third
side alone and do not put holes in the ends, you have this cool box
with the tubing criss crossing inside. The ferrets can run through the
tubes with the box on its side or on its ends. The closer the holes
are cut to the exact dimensions of the tubing the less sliding occurs
as they run through it. The ends of this particular box have the flaps
that lock the end top in place. To change it up some, I open the end
so they can see each other running through from the inside. To change
it up again I add a blanket over parts of it and to change it up yet
again, I hook it up to another Walmart cloth/nylon tube with a cube
like house ($7-8 dollars great for the older kids cause it doesn't
bother their feet as much). The more the merrier. Again, when we are
not around it is set up so the tube ends are not accessible.

Have fun tubing, LJ

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3
LJ