From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:53:50 -0800
The discussion which started as the second person wanting to adopt a ferret
and getting what they thought was rude treatment has launched a few side
comments we want to address.  There will be no more comments on why Sandi
Ackerman does or does not like the killians.  But a few things that got
written deserve comment.

>From:    MC <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Humane Societies
>Bill and Diane are breeders..and are ferret folk.

Just a bit of a nit.  We do call ourselves breeders.  But we bred three or
four litters a year the past two years.  Not exactly big business.  We also
took in over 50 ferrets through our shelter last year.  So well what are
we?  Breeders?  Or a shelter?  We call ourselves both.

We agree with your sentiments however.  But we don't exclude all ferret
owners and even those that are looking to get a ferret.  They too are ferret
folk.

>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Sandy's shelter experience

>Supplying medical care, surgeries, vaccinatins, and if the ferret is
>healthy enough enduring the many calls and visits form those who want
>to purchase "a Cheap pet".  It has happened here and I am sure in many
>other shelters across the country.  Always folks are looking for a quick,
>cheap deal.

We like other shelters have to deal with those that want cheap and even
free ferrets.  Those tend to be really short phone calls.  When the call
starts "What do you got for $10?" we answer "nothing".

>From:    Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sandi & Zen attacks
>Infact - I only know of the large breeders, and two local breeders that
>sell to pet stores.

We agree with your whole post.  The large ranches - Marshall, Path Valley et
al - are all generally known.  At least by those of us who choose to track
them.  We and most hobby breeders are looking forward to the day that they
fade in importance as ferrets catch up to dogs and cats in that locally bred
ferrets are available where people want them.

The USDA gets involved with any ranch that wants to sell ferrets through
pet stores.  Our preference is to put the label ranch on these "breeders"
since they are making efforts toward running things profitably.  Some
ranches choose not to go that direction but most we'd classify that way
are also mink ranches.  They still seem more profit driven though.  We will
listen to arguments as to why someone who isn't profit driven would still
choose to sell through pet stores but admit we need a lot of convincing.

What we usually call hobby breeders are not profit driven at the base.  Many
of us breed specifically for the ferret fancy (ferret shows).  Others still
breed because they like ferrets even if not involved with the show circuit.

It is a big mistake to lump all of these breeders into one big pot though.
These "breeders" have different criteria in choosing their breeding stock.
An article we are writing goes into this though we are past deadline on that
(side story).  We hobby breeders often discuss ways to reduce litter size
unlike the goals of a ranch.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/