From:
"Regina J.Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:33:02 -0400
Hi all

I sent the following letter to Sally Stork, the executive vice president
of PETCO.  (Sally Stork, Exe. Vice Pres., 9125 Rehco Road, San Diego,
CA  81121, 1-888-583-6044 ext. 3006, email: [log in to unmask])

Dear Ms. Stork

I am writing to you to express my concern regarding PETCO's ferret
policies.  Word in the ferret community is that you have contracted
Animals Etc. to distribute ferrets to all of the PETCO stores.
Unfortunately, Animals Etc. is known for unethical practices and
probable contamination with the deadly Aleutian Disease Virus.

Regardless of the distributor that you choose, most, if not all, ferret
distributors ship their kits at far too young an age (eight weeks and
younger).  This practice is unhealthy for the kits and problematic for
potential owners.  Finally, your sick ferret policy is not in the best
interest of ferrets.  Owners would much rather that PETCO cover the cost
of medical care for ill ferrets than have to return them to PETCO where
they will be euthanized.  I urge you to reconsider PETCO's ferret sales
policy.  Please discontinue the sale of ferrets in PETCO stores and
instead encourage customers to adopt ferrets from responsible shelters
and breeders.  Carry a good line of quality ferret products, and your
customers and the ferret community will support PETCO wholeheartedly.

Sincerely,
Regina Hart/Sage Ferrets
http://www.geocities.com/sageferrets

Please consider writing to PETCO to express your views,
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets