From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 10:25:16 -0400
John writes:
>I do not know what state she is talking about, but where I am located,
>just going to "Petfinder", "locate in the expanded search",(2or3state
>area), and click on 'view', it was shamefull that there were over 200
>ferrets to pick from!!!

John you happen to live in a densely populated area which probably has
the highest concentration of ferrets in the US: the Atlantic coast.

I went to Petfinder, and did a search in Ohio, where I live.  ZERO
ferrets showed up in this state, although I know there are several
shelters here.  Some other random searches yielded West Virginia: 1,
Montana: 0, Utah: 0, Oklahoma: 0.  Alabama had a few, all from a single
shelter, as did Idaho and Louisiana.  Again, I urge you to check the
SOS list.  Many states have only one or two or NO shelters, especially
in some southern and plains states.

Ferrets just are not always that easy to find, unless you go to a pet
store.  I don't want ferrets sold in pet stores, but I understand why
they are.  I would like those pet stores and their suppliers to breed
and house ferrets humanely, train their staff, and make sure purchasers
know what is involved in ferret care, rather than just sell to anyone
off the street.

Linda Iroff