From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 02:01:17 -0700
Hi,

This note gives a little more detail on how the committee vote on HR37 went
today--if all you care about is that it passed committee, skip to the last
two or three paragraphs.

I'm one of the CA residents who helped call legislators, carry signs, and
pack the committee room yesterday.  In the committee meeting, it was quickly
apparent that there were so many people there in support of the bill, and
zero (MAYBE one person) there in opposition, that two of the committee
members started out by moving and seconding that the bill be passed (out of
committee, which is all the committe can do).  Also, even though HR37 was
the last item on the agenda, they moved it up to be the first item
considered, I think so they could get all of us ferret nuts out of there and
get back to their normal shmoozing.  :)

In light of the immediate motion and second, Chairman Cortese suggested a
quick presentation by Jan Goldsmith (the bill's author) and quick testimony
from the public.  "Quick" turned out to be about 30-40 minutes.  The
committee members were all amused by the ferret (a rescue, on its way out of
state) that was brought around the table to meet each member.

I thought the presentation and testimony was all articulate and to the
point; the only question that wasn't answered to all committee members'
satisfaction (Joe Bacca, mainly, who ended up abstaining) was "How much will
this cost the state and/or consumers" in terms of setting up licensing
programs and shelters, etc.  I'm pretty sure his question was answered in
the document that the CDFA prepared for all committee members, but wasn't
answered orally.  In retrospect, I realize that I should have gotten up and
given my best (but non-expert) explanation of how animal control
organizations in most states generally turn found ferrets over to ferret
shelters, and how due to responsible ferret organizations and owners, there
isn't an overpopulation problem as there is with dogs and cats.

All in all, it was very satisfying to have even this small positive step
happen.  If you (even non-Californians!) get this in time, please keep up
the push by calling legislators until the full assembly vote happens,
probably Thursday at 9am.  If you can, check the CDFA web page,
http://www.best.com/~kkq/ for the latest info on what you can do to help.

On a slightly unrelated note, could we please require anonymous posts to at
least have a pseudonymous signature?  I thought everyone agreed on this a
while back, but maybe not.

It's difficult to reply to a point made by an anonymous poster if you can't
"name" the poster.

Thanks,
"Dennis"
P.S.  Could Petunia's owner from S.F.  please email me at [log in to unmask]

[Moderator's note: For the most part I enforce the signature - if an anon
poster doesn't give one, I'll use initials or something.  I let one through
yesterday without one as an exception since it was a one time post.  BIG]