From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 09:30:00 -0500
Hi - seems I'm turning into a regular poster vs.  a lurker.  I love it here!
Rebecca - regarding baths and ferret trails, Dec 30 you may have seen a post
regarding bathing less vs.  more.  I have to agree.  I thought I had to give
baths every 3 weeks but in my laziness I found they actually smell less if
you bathe less.  They smell at 3 weeks but it dimishes if you just wait.
Wash their bedding once a week though.  On ferrettrails, I bought two and
its a very short tunnel for the price, their expensive!  Instead go to a big
home improvement store and buy a 9 ft length of that black, ribbed sewer
stuff (4" diameter) with some connectors - you can cut it in half with a
carpet knife and make trails - mine love theirs, the one toy they always
play in.

Giardia - went to the vet and we checked the stool again for *normal*
parasites again - zip.  My vet said it was easier to treat than send away
for a test.  She put them on Flagyl for 10 days.  I didn't have the nerve to
suggest the Panacur that Dr.  Dutton recommended.  I always run into to this
- how do second guess your vet without making it seem like you don't trust
them?  I like my vet personnaly and professionally - she has her own ferret
- but not much experience.  She's in her first year of practice and in MI.
But she's really trying and learning.  Any thoughts on Flagyl?  Also - I'm
waiting for results on blood work for Giesela - we did blood work when she
had a blockage and her lympochytes(sp) was high.  So were doing it again to
see if it was stress.  Hope for the best.  Please.

Marie McMahel - there is a hedgehog folder in small animals/exo on AOL.

To the guy who had the journal idea - I really liked it though I'm probably
to lazy to do it every week.

Re Grief and postings: A lot already been said which is why I put in that I
liked the journal idea.  When I lost my cat of 13 years (my only pet) I
realized I didn't have much to hang onto and I now wish I did.  People
didn't really understand so I used the Rainbow Bridge on AOL.  I don't know
if anything really helps but sometimes you just have to express yourself in
that state and where better than to people who understand?

As far as getting another pet right away as suggested - it's individual.  It
was only a month since my cat passed when my nephew gave me his ferret - I
didn't want another pet and it affected our bonding (poor Giesela) I think
she felt my withdrawal then though everything is fine now it took awhile.  I
treated her well but it was too soon for me.  Now I have two!  People will
know what their limits are - follow your heart, when you think you might be
getting ready for a new pet - you probably already are.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.
Mary