From:
Sergio Juri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:12:48 -0400
Hi there, I am the proud friend of a ferret lady called Slick, and this is
the first time I am going to post here.

I have followed the debate about shelters asking for money, and I would like
to suggest the following to the group.  I think one way to support the
shelter's work will be to "adopt" a ferret from a local shelter.  What I
mean is, if you cannot take the ferret with you, just make sure of his/her
well being by becoming a sponsor, covering all expenses for this fuzzy in
terms of medical, food, lodging, etc.  That can be made to work in two ways,
one is to pro-rate expenses for all animals for the shelter and calculate an
"average" cost (but you still get the ferret picture and learn about how he
or she is doing, can go visit, etc) or you just stick with one fuzzy and pay
whatever it cost to sustain him/her.

Not a new idea?  I bet it is not... if this has been discussed before I
apologize.  This idea come to me after I visited one shelter here in Durham,
NC, where I saw the excellent work done by Karen & Joseph Marsh.  It may
work though, so I believe I should share it.