From:
tjourney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:22:04 -0500
Hello,

This is my first time posting and it is long overdue.  I truly enjoy
reading FML every night.  I can't wait to get home to read it.  First I
would like to thank Bill Gruber and two other generous people for
connecting with FML.  I am a new ferret parent and I have learned alot from
FML.  I live on a small farm with horses, cows, dogs, a cat, an aquarium
full of fish, 2 gerbils and now a wonderful and lovable "Ziggy".  Oh, yes,
also 2 daughters and a very understandable husband (I say this because he
is not a big pet lover).  My 17 year old daughter really doesn't care for
animals either.

My 14 year old daughter shares my love for animals and for the last year
she has been wanting to purchase a ferret.  About 5 months ago a friend
from church asked if we knew anyone who would want a ferret plus a 3 level
cage.  He had a friend that was tired of the ferret but wanted a good home
for him and would give him free with cage.  Of course we took him.  We had
no experience with ferrets but between my 14 yr old and my self we had a
lot of love to give.  We truly did not know how this warm fuzzy would win
over my whole family (even husband and 17 yr old daughter).

We are all truly in love with "Ziggy".  We are very lucky to have such a
sweet fellow who nevers bites and is very cuddly.  Ziggy is about 4 1/2 yrs
old and we let him have about l hour of liberty play every morning while we
are getting ready and about 2-3 hrs liberty play every evening.  We even
get into arguments about who gets to play with him.  haha.  He is just so
full of personality.

My concern is that when Ziggy arrived, he had Alpo dry cat food in his
cage.  We bought ferret food for him and he would not touch it.  The local
pet store told me to mix Ferretvite with his ferret food and maybe he would
eat it.  They said the cat food did not have all the vitamins he needed and
his hair may start to thin.  I mixed the Ferretvite with ferret food.  He
would just lick it off and not eat his food.  He started losing weight and
hair.  I have since started him back on his cat food and giving him
Ferretvite (he loves it as a treat) and he has gained his weight back and
his hair has come back.  Should I be doing anything else?  If anyone has
any suggestions, please write me.  Thanks.

Love to all God's creatures,
Teresa, "Ziggy" and the rest of the pet farm family

P.S.  The reason I discovered FML was an article that mentioned ferrets
were sometimes used as theropy for autistic children.  It caught my
attention because I have a 5 yr old autistic nephew.  Thanks to all who
responded.  From the info I received, we have decided to introduce my
nephew to "Ziggy" and see how he responds.  I will update the results.
Thanks again!!!!