From:
steve austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:44:05 -0400
I need some help.  I just brought a ferret that I took as a foster- now
will adopt, to my vet.  The ferret came to me without any known health
information.  She is about 3-4yr old??  MF sable, petite, a little under
weight.  Dry skin/rough coat.  I noticed right away hair loss at small
patches on both of hind quarters near the tail, and on the front shoulders.
I noticed her active at times, but takes longer naps than my other guys,
and is eating very well.  Some hair seems to have grown in on the back end,
and on the lower abdomen/pelvis area there is dark patches of ?  new hair
growth.  No vulvar swelling.  At times itchier than my ferrets- but has dry
skin.  I thought adrenal disease, my vet has done a few surgeries and has
had success with the left gland, but would refer out a right gland that
is diseased because of technical difficulties.  He said if it is adrenal
disease it is still very early and He suggested an ultrasound to identify
if there is an adrenal problem and see which side.

The only place he refered me to was in PA, I was wondering if this U/S
is accurate??  rate of false negatives??  and if there was a good
ultrasonographer in the central/north NJ area- about an hour either way
from Newark,NJ is fine.  Any other suggestions would be helpful, can I
give her something for the dry skin?  I have her for 3 weeks and her diet
is better now, plus a little ferretone, and plenty of water.

Thanks,
Patty