From:
kathryn terhune-cotton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:57:47 -0700
From the FML:
>Southwest Airlines does not accept animals as checked baggage for any of
>its flights due to turn-around time, averaging 20 minutes, does not allow
>for cargo requiring special handling, such as pets.  However, the airline
>does allow animals on-board in certain cases.  "The only animals we carry
>are assistance animals for our customers with special needs.  These animals
>ride in the cabin at the customers feet."

I have to respond to this.  Okay, it's not *really* ferret related, but it
was on the FML and it really hits a nerve with me as I have spent many
months doing public presentations on this issue.

In addition to being a ferret lover, largely controlled by my fert, I am
also a PWD (person With a Disability), with a hearing dog, and on a mission
to educate the public on assistance animals - specifically dogs.

All *that* being said, may I just comment that Southwest Airlines stated
"allowances" are nothing of the kind.  All airlines are *required by law*
to allow all assistance dogs (and in some cases monkeys, hence "assistance
animal") to accompany their owners on board.  It is ADA law - assistance
animal are allowed in *all* places of public accommodation and all public
carriers.

If anyone would like more info on this, please e-mail me *privately.*

I now return to a ferret mode :)

Kat, K.C. (cert. HD) & and
Jester-the-kitty-molester Ferret (hey mom, how come *he* can go in the
grocery store and I can't??)
(because you're too short to pass off as a "seeing eye weasil silly!)