From:
Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:06:04 -0500
Hi again.  I have a question about Weezer.  She's my six year old rescue
that I have had for almost a full year now.  Anyway, we found out that
she has insulinoma, as some of you may remember.  Now the vet and I are
convinced she also has adrenal.  The problem is that she is too thin to
even consider putting her under.  I KNOW she would not survive the surgery.
What can I do with an insulinomic ferret to fatten her up to healthy enough
for surgery?  Is it better to just let her live out her days without
putting her through the trauma of surgery, or can she really be helped?  I
mean, she is very thin.  Only 1.2 lbs on a ferret that should weigh at
least 2 lbs like my other girls.  She doesn't have any hair to lose.  She's
almost bald on her legs below the knee, her coat is very thin all over, and
balder patches are developing.  She doesn't have any body fat to keep her
warm, so she sleeps all day in the sleep sack, a blanket, or her fuzzy
hanging tube to stay warm.  I think I'll order some Timmy's Tonic, but in
the mean time, what can I feed her to fatten her up?  I've tried giving her
the Deliver 2.0 and other similar items, but they seem to only give her
diarrhea and very smelly poops.  I only tried one duck soup recipe, but she
hated it and got the same loose, smelly poops.  I don't mean to sound like
I won't do everything I can for her, but she doesn't use the litterbox that
much and my carpet is really getting stained.  I guess I can confine her,
but I don't want to hurt her quality of life for my carpet's sake.  If she
enjoys running around, I want her to run around.  I just want to help her
the best way I can.